Tae = 'Foot' or 'to kick' or 'to jump'
K'won = 'Fist' or 'to strike or block with hand'
Do = 'The way of' or 'art'
Put this together and Taekwondo means: "The art of kicking and punching" or "The art of unarmed combat."
Disciplines of TaekwondoTaekwondo has four disciplines:
- Patterns or POOMSAE
- Breaking Test
Objectives of Taekwondo:
- to develop an appreciation for Taekwondo as a Art and a Sport
- to achieve physical fitness through positive participation
- to improve mental discipline and emotional equanimity
- to learn self-defense skills
- to develop a sense of responsibility for one self and others
Tenets of TaeKwonDo
1. Courtesy (YEH) 2. Integrity (YOHM-CHEH) 3. Perseverance (IN-NEH) 4. Self Control (GUK-GI) 5. Indomitable Spirit (Pak-Jul -Bool -Kool)
TAEKWONDO transforms one's character into a strong,resiliant SPIRIT so that one can develop leadership to guide and lead in all aspects of life. Leadership and a strong fighting Spirit provide confidence in all areas of a practitioners life so to help in maintaining composure and security, which will create patience and modesty. A Practitioner will also understand self Sacrifice,and giving , then will gain superior character as a leader of Society.
Our only battle in this Life is Spiritual. We must stay connected to that Great Spirit that wants us to succeed and be Blessed and not to that Negative Spirit that wants to Destroy us and Tell us we can't make our Dreams come true.
To SERVE the Community by Improving the Quality of Life for all who Embrace our "SPIRIT OF LOVE"